Jun 10, 2015

Recent Reads: The Friday Sociey by Adrienne Kress

The Friday Society
The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress
Publisher: Dial
Publication Date:  December 6, 2012



 

Format: Paperback
Source: Won from Candace's Book Blog, a long time ago.


Rating:




Goodreads Synopsis: 
An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, guns–and the heroines who use them all

Set in turn of the century London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent and talented young women, all of whom are assistants to powerful men: Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. The three young women's lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man.

It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder–and the crimes they believe may be connected to it–without calling too much attention to themselves.

Set in the past but with a modern irreverent flare, this Steampunk whodunit introduces three unforgettable and very ladylike–well, relatively ladylike–heroines poised for more dangerous adventures.
 
Review: 
For whatever strange reason, it look me a long time to get into this book. I guess I just wasn't feeling it but I have had a handful of DNFs this past month and I didn't want to have another so I stuck it out. I am glad that I did because the last third of the book was wonderful - it just too a lot of semi-boring lead up to get to it (in my opinion).

Now this is an older book, published in 2012, and I have had the ARC sitting on my shelf for AGES... I finally pulled the title out of my TBR Jar for May and was determined to get to it. 

I found this book interesting once it got going and the female leads are all very diverse and fun to follow - I liked reading all their point of views as they alternated- which was nice because normally I like one more than others.

What I found most entertaining was the chapters and who they were arranged; many began with "And then there was an explosion..." which was a quirky way to do it. I found that the girls first appearances were done every well - you get three chapters - you meet them, meet their boss, and then they get an unexpected guest. This same series was used for all three and I thought that was creative.

The plot was a weird one - scientists are turning up dead and the girls are investigating to find out who committed the crimes - seems pretty normal but there was a lot of information before the action and while interesting it took me a long time to read through the non-dialogue bits.

While I was not a huge fan, there were strong female heroines and a nice steampunk theme behind the plot which I think YA readers would enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment