Feb 26, 2021

Recent Reads: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab



A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab 
Series: Shades of Magic #1
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Publication Date:  April 21, 2015



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27405327-pop-manga-coloring-book?from_search=true  https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Manga-Coloring-Book-Beautiful/dp/0399578471?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0399578471&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=x_gr_w_bb&tag=x_gr_w_bb-20

Format: Audible Audiobook
Source: Bought (Audible membership credits)


Rating:


Goodreads Synopsis: 

Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black.

Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see.

Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive. 
Review: 
I have heard so many good things about this book and this series, and as with most hyped books, it has taken me FOREVER to finally jump in. I was not disappointed. Full transparency, I listened to this book on Audible and now I have to go by the paperback for my shelf. I was not sure I was going to get into it as much as I did and in the end I was fully invested in Kell and these worlds. 

The audiobook was wonderful, the reader was so good and the story was painted so well by him and I really appreciate that. Sometimes it is hard to get into an audiobook because the reader is just off but you aren't sure how, that was NOT the case here. 

Anywho, enough about the way I read the book... I loved this world SO much. It is so interested the layered Londons and the magic system, or lack thereof. Kell's coat is life for me, the way it transitions to what he needs it to be and he isn't even sure how many layers or options there are... that he loses things in it, I giggled and loved this aspect of the book so much and want more of it.

Schwab does such a great job with her character development and growth in this book, I cannot wait to read more of the series to learn more. There is just enough to keep you interested, but also enough mystery that you need to dive deeper. Kell is mysterious from the very beginning, even as the main character and I love that he keeps that mystery through the novel. Lila is so stubborn and sure of herself that I wanted to be her. She is strong and determined, but still honest that sometimes she is scared but needs change in her life. Everything about these characters was so good.

The plot started out slow, but the build-up was perfectly timed though each chapter and I cannot wait to dive into the next book (that is already on my shelf). 

As I am writing this review, fawning over this book, I need to up my rating...5 stars all the way for this one! Great magic system, interesting worlds, mysterious and broody characters - all for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment