Jul 27, 2012

Recent Reads: Shadowcry (Wintercraft #1) by Jenna Burtenshaw

Shadowcry (Wintercraft, #1)Shadowcry (Wintercraft #1) by Jenna Burtenshaw

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Background: Kate Winters’ parents were killed when she was very young, all because of what they were and a book they were hiding. Kate is now fifteen and learning more about her parent’s legacy and …that she can heal the dead. While working at her uncle’s bookstore the High Council’s Wardens storm into her town looking for anyone with Kate’s special gifts and she is soon plunged into a world of deceit, secrecy, death, and corruption.

Review: I picked up this book because I won a giveaway from Pitch Dark/ Epic Reads a site run by HarperCollins. I won Blackwatch, book two of the Wintercraft series, so I had to grab this one to read first. I am SO SO glad I entered and won this contest because this series is surely an awesome adventure!

Shadowcry, book one of the Wintercraft series, is very dark, twisted, and macabre. Kate is a strong and determined character who makes a wonderful lead, and she remains so, even through the worst. The story revolves around a city called Fume, which was once the city of the dead, where they went to peacefully pass on to their new existence. Now, it has been taken over by the High Council because of their corruption and need for a lavish lifestyle. Another thing the High Council wants are the Skilled, a group of people who have extraordinary powers to work with the veil, the clocking between the realm of life and death, and they will stop at nothing to gain these individuals as slaves and workers to do their bidding.

Burtenshaw writes in an epic fashion, drawing in all things you need in a great adventure and battle. There is mystery and secrecy, and slowly told tales about how things used to be, and the protagonist, Kate, is a determined person to follow as she learns about herself and her powers.
I am very glad I read this book, and I am even more excited to read Blackwatch, because the ending of Shadowcry was amazing and I cannot wait to jump back into the story.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment