Nov 24, 2014

Early Reader Review: Princess Ugg Volume 1 by Ted Naifeh

Princess Ugg Volume 1
Princess Ugg Volume 1 by Ted Naifeh
Series:Volume 1
Publisher: Oni Press
Publication Date:  November 26, 2014



 

Format: ebook
Source: From Netgalley and Oni Press for review. Receiving this book in no way effects my opinions or review.


Rating:
 


 


Synopsis: 
A new series from Courtney Crumrin creator and New York Times Best Seller, Ted Naifeh!

Princess Ülga isn't your standard princess, but her royal lineage goes back for generations.

At her mother's bequest, Ülga travels to the city-state of Atraeska, where the prestigious Princess Academy lies, so that she can learn about things like diplomacy — hopefully for the benefit of her rough and tumble people.

But Ülga will learn that she's more behind in her studies than she realized, and that when you're a princess, you're bound to have a few enemies.

 Review: 

Before getting the first Volume of Princess Ugg from Netgalley I had already read issues one and two of the series; I was excited to read the third issue through this volume and see all the awesome extras that they tend to add to the graphic novels. I was not disappointed. The bonus material was wonderful, images from other artists, variant covers – all of which were fitting and wonderful. I really like this series.


This series is a lot of fun so I have included my reviews of the individual issues below.


Issue #1


I love Ted Naifeh and the Courtney Crumrin stories so when I got Princess Ugg #1 from Oni Press for review I was SUPER excited to see he wrote it. Princess Ugla is about a girl who is… well… a barbarian, and in this issue she is leaving her home to attend school in a more civilized place. When she arrives all sorts of craziness happens and she has a run in with the princess of the kingdom she is staying in.

Overall this was a great start to a new series, there were a few laugh-out-loud kinds of moments and I think Ulga is a wonderful lead female who is strong and stubborn and will be fun to follow as the series progresses. Four stars and I look forward to reading more.


Issue #2

First off, I have to say that I am really enjoying this series. Princess Ugg is a wonderful character and I think that other readers will enjoy her story as I have. I hope that you can pick it up, happy reading!

Princess Ulga is now in the Princess Academy and trying to fit in, only she can’t; she is too buff, too focused on killing, and not feminine enough for these women. As she struggles through the process of trying to be proper and lady-like she finds herself surrounded by other princesses but so very alone and it starts to take a toll on her.

Where the first issue of this series was funny due to Ulga’s misfortune and ignorance of this new land, this issue is a little depressing. I was sad to see Ulga in this situation, as a strong female but still put down by those around her. I hope that in coming issues she can believe in herself. Issue #2 was another great installment in this new series. 
Issue #3

Oh Ulga, I think you are wonderful. In this installment Ugg is trying to really adapt to her school and the people and it is the beginning of a new chapter for her. We get a lot more of her back-story as well and I loved that. The art is spectacular, characters are super detailed throughout and I love the way this story is progressing. I really love the character development in this series, it is SO good; Ulga is adapting and the other girls aren’t quite as annoying as before. This issue again brought back some of those really funny moments which I really liked, only they are spun around and not due to misfortune or accidents.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment