Apr 24, 2012

Early Reader Review: House of Night: Legacy by PC and Kristin Cast

House of Night #1 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #1)House of Night #1 by P.C. Cast
Available: July 12, 2012
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Background: House of Night #1 Graphic Novel follows Zoey Redbird like the House of Night series, however it is not a continuation of the series nor the first book of the series in graphic novel form.

Review: I enjoyed reading this graphic novel, but only because I have read most of the House of Night Series. Here we see Zoey with her full powers, not as she enters the House of Night school like the first book (which is what I thought this was going to be). We follow her through lessons about how her powers are both a blessing and a curse, and need to be used in appropriate ways. The shorts are divided into an intro, and then by the elements to learn each lesson. The illustrations were very vibrant with color and information. Each frame had just enough of an explanation about the goings-on of the House of Night and its characters without being over crowded.

I do however have some criticisms, I was a little taken aback by how everyone is a stick with a giant heads, and the illustrator in some frames did not seem to get the proportions quite right. My other criticism is that I am not sure that this tale is needed in the series. I understand that some graphic novels give insight into the series it continues but here it seems thrown into the storyline, not the beginning, nor the most recent book… it’s a bit odd.

Having read the series I know this, but for those reading without that background some of the bigger questions might be left open ended, like, why is she there? Why is her mark already filled?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment