Apr 25, 2012

Early Reader Review: Between Gears by Natalie Nourigat

Between GearsBetween Gears by Natalie Nourigat

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Background: “This honest, autobiographical account of a college senior’s life will transport you to the land of Jell-O shots, term papers, job interviews, road trips, and sanguine optimism in the face of uncertainty and change.” From the author/ book. I think that this sums it up very well.

Review: Between Gears is amazing! I loved it. It follows Natalie aka Tally, a college senior who chronicles her daily life. I loved the illustrations and as the character grows and changes we also see the same of the author. The illustrations are choppy and cluttered at first but get better and clearer as the novel progresses. Some of the episodes are hilarious and fun, others a slow and a little on the boring side…but it’s the life of a college student; some days ARE just plain boring. I loved the honesty in this graphic novel and some of the content hit close to home, as I too once was a college senior and understood a lot of the cramming and panic moments.

When I first began reading, I knew that the storyline followed a college student but was a little deterred by the drawings looking very young, I am glad that as I progressed she felt older.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment