May 24, 2019

Recent Reads: The 3-Day Effect by Florence Williams

The 3-Day Effect
The 3-Day Effect by Florence Williams
Publisher:  Audible Studios
Publication Date:  September 27, 2018



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27405327-pop-manga-coloring-book?from_search=true  audible, an amazon company

Format:  Audible Audiobook

Source: Freebie with Subscription from May


Rating:






Goodreads Synopsis: 
The 3-Day Effect is a look at the science behind why being in the wild can make us happier, healthier and more creative. Whether it’s rafting down Utah’s Green River, backpacking in Arizona’s wilderness or walking through Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C., scientists are finding that the more exposure humans have to nature, the more they will benefit from reduced anxiety, enhanced creativity and overall well-being. Trek with science journalist Florence Williams as she guides former Iraqi war veterans, sex trafficking survivors, and even a nature hater, on three-day nature excursions to see how the outdoors offers something like a miracle cure for an array of extreme and everyday ailments.
Review: 
Getting the ability to download these freebies from audible every month has really enabled me to listen to things that I wouldn't normally pick up. Some are hits and some are misses and that is fine. Since I am back in school for psychology again, I was drawn to this one in the month of May. 

the 3-Day Effect is about how spending three days in nature can help rest your brain. It causes you to be more in tune with yourself and more appreciative and is shown to decrease stress. This particular book follows Florence Williams as she participates in studies with other groups to see what the studies are looking for and if it can work for her through a rough time in her life. 

My likes for this one were regarding the overall content - I liked learning about the studies that researchers are doing to try to prove that this is a valid therapy and can really help people. I like learning about the science behind it. 

However, there were some dislikes, mainly with how it was presented. I liked learning about the different types of trips that are done to help, but I was not really investing in Florence's story and I understand that divorce is hard (I have not been through it so the full context might be lacking for me) but I also feel like comparing it to PTSD from war and being a sex-trafficking victim might be a bit off the mark. I am not saying there is no pain there but the book made it out to be more about her than the science.

It is an interesting concept and I will definitely be looking more into the science behind it to see what information and hard data has been gathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment