Apr 14, 2016

Recent Reads: Switched by Amanda Hocking

Source: From Librarything Early Reviewers Program (a very long time ago). Receiving this book in no way alters my opinion or review.

Switched (Trylle, #1)Switched by Amanda Hocking
Series: Trylle #1
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date:  2012



 

Format: Paperback ARC

Rating:
 


 


Goodreads Synopsis: 
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.
Review: 
It is not often that I give half stars but in this case I will, I enjoyed Switched very much and read it very quickly, however I was not in love with it. The premise of the story is that a girl realizes that she was switched at birth and learns where she belongs is not where she thought. This is an older book, but I still don't want to give too much away - I thought going into this book it was going to be about Fairies.... it was note, I was pleasantly surprised though by how the author played the switch and the cast of characters.

The plot climax seemed a little rushed at the end of the book, but my real concerns were about Wendy, the main character. I feel like as she was learning who she was and how to live in this new 'world' she didn't ask enough questions, nor did she ask the questions that I think that she should have. I found it a little frustrating to read when I wanted answersto questions she was late to ask or didn't ask. 

I think that this first book did have some good world building and I think if given the opportunity I would read the next installment but not right now...I liked the book but I was also more frustrated than pleased as I read most of it. The ending saved it from getting a lower rating, there is some romance and obviously, like I mentioned the real action happens then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment