Aug 13, 2013

Cece's Corner -- Review: The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien


5907The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien: A Review
by Cece

In The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, Bilbo Baggins' life is turned upside down. After an unexpected visit from the great wizard Gandolf, Mr. Baggins is surprised by a group of dwarves ready to begin an adventure. Mr. Baggins never would have expected what happened after accepting to join them. In a journey of a lifetime, they encounter terrifying life or death situations due to evil creatures and helpful fellows who pushed them through the hardships.

While reading The Hobbit I enjoyed the adventure at every corner. Throughout the book, I was on my toes nervously waiting for what happens next. Also, I liked how the author wrote Bilbo Baggins’ character. J. R. R. Tolkien did a great job describing the difficult situation Mr. Baggins was in. He had to change his lifestyle completely, getting rid of his handkerchief and fulfilling meals and trading them for long nights and vicious battles. Lastly, I did not like how there were so many dwarves. I quickly lost track of who was who and there were not many distinct characteristics between them, but only individual names.

Regardless of what I thought of the book, I think that people that love fascinating adventures with fantasy creatures would enjoy The Hobbit. This may include enjoyers of fantasy, people seeking adventure themselves, and geeks, nerds, and people that L.A.R.P in the park in their spare time.[1] These readers may appreciate this book considering it contains aspects of a genre they already enjoy. 



[1] L.A.R.P. stands for Live Action Role Playing a hobby that includes dressing like characters and fighting with crafted weapons.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, while I loved The Hobbit, I loved The Lord of The Rings even better. But, it's still a classic and without it, there would be no LOTR.

    ReplyDelete