Jan 21, 2016

Discussion Day: I'm NOT a Writer


Today is a Discussion Day here at Cover2CoverBlog. I am trying to start these a little more since they seem fun :) I hope you enjoy and if you have any topic suggestions let me know in the comments.

Today's Topic
I am not a writer... I am a reader...

I have been a reader ever since I can remember. To this day, I carry a book everywhere and feel like if I don't then I am missing a great reading opportunity. (and I have noticed that when I bring one I don't need it and when I forget, I will need it). Any who...

As a reader I feel like SO many people ask me if I am also a writer, and while I do write blog posts I really don't think that I would ever have the creativity to actually write anything more. So NO I am NOT a writer. 

And there is nothing wrong with being both a reader AND a writer there are a lot of people who are -- that is awesome, more books for me to read. But for whatever reason the question tends to irk me. Why can't I just be a person who enjoys reading? Why do I have to be a writer too?  

Let's talk about this...

Like I mentioned, I LOVE reading, thus the existence of this blog and the fact that I normally consume about 100 books a year. However, even though I love this hobby - why is it the norm to assume that since I love reading I must love writing? 
These are two totally different worlds. I love to enter places I have never been and become characters I never would have the chance to be by reading what someone has created. I have no desire to create these places, there is no fun in the creation for me. 

I like the escape that a book provides not the pressure of developing one. I hope this is making sense...

I love writers - you guys are AMAZING! I love what you do and the talent you have... I just want to stay in my bubble and read what your marvelous brains have come up with... is that so hard? 

I feel like I am ranting, and I probably am, but when did this relationship happen? I still don't know and for most this question probably isn't an issue. I, however, have never taken a creative writing course or tried or want to. I have written a thesis and loads of other research based technical papers but that's about it. I have never found the process or writing to be enjoyable. I feel like I have to reiterate that I have SO much respect for the people that do. Without you, I would be bored out of my mind. 

...and as you can tell my writing is horrible :P  I use this blog as a place to word-vomit my thoughts and feelings about books - I don't mind JUST being a reader. I am happy to consume and not produce. 

When do you think that this relationship became the norm? Are you a reader? Writer? BOTH?! If you are just a reader, does this question irk you the way it does me?  Let me know in the comments.

I don't know why it bothers me so much. Maybe because I am very proud just to be a reader ... writers need us and as a reader, I need them... I am happy with that arrangement.  

Sorry for the rant.... :D Have a good one everyone!


Happy reading, happy blogging (happy writing) everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment