May 2, 2015

Interview w/ Shebly Morrison Author of From the Ashes



Welcome to Cover2CoverBlog, thank you for joining us.

First could you tell us a little about yourself?

PictureHappy to! Well, I live in Utah currently but I plan on moving to Oregon in the next few years. Something about the green trees and moisture that just make the dirt and dryness....less appealing. I am married to my very best friend and have been for six years. We have two adorable dogs who we love to spoil. In my free-time (you know, authors have soooo much of that) I am studying Japanese. I enjoy the occasional DIY project, craft, and researching travel destinations. I can lose myself for hours on Pinterest and at thrift stores. It's a problem.


What was your inspiration for From the Ashes?

Simply a piece of jewelry. Intrigued?


Which came first – the story or the characters? 

Always the story. I'm a very plot-driven writer. The plot takes it so far and then it's up to my characters to take it the rest of the way. The plot is like the sketching of a painting. Then I have to create some really awesome characters to carry it and take it to the level I want. They are the paints.


What is your favorite part about the writing process? Do you have a special writing spot?

Oh the brainstorming for sure. You can be as free and creative as you want! No boundaries, just pure thoughts and what-if scenarios. You get to let your characters take the reins for a bit, explore who they are and what choices they'd make. You get to explore your world. It is the most creative and liberating part of writing. The very core of  creating your story.


Is there anything about you that would surprise your readers?

Hmm...surprise in a bad way or in a good way? I don't think my readers know me well enough to be surprised by anything just yet. How about that I cut my own hair? Oooorrr, that I only enjoy garden-grown tomatoes but not the ones from the store. Or that I wanted to be a lawyer when I was growing up. How about that I have never been outside the country? Sad, I know. Yep, not much will surprise my readers. I'm still new to them. :)


If you could spend time with any author, who would it be and why?

George R. R. Martin. Now that man knows how to craft a character. I would love to take notes.


The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #2) What are you reading right now? Do you have any book recommendations for the young adult/ new adult reader?

I'm currently reading The Other Boleyn Girl. I wanted to take a peek into historical fiction. I love historical fiction dramas on TV, so I was stunned to realize I'd never really given the books a try. As for recommendations for the YA/NA reader, I'd say they could probably recommend more to me than I could to them. I have to balance writing with my reading so I don't get near as much done as I'd like. I would simply recommend branching out and trying other genres. You may be stunned to find others you like.
 

About the Book
Title: From the Ashes by Shelby Morrison
Series: Legend of the Liberator #1
Publication Date:  May 3, 2015



 

Synopsis
For eighteen years Aia Wynnald has lived a lie. Raised as a highborn in the Kingdom of Tharien, she’s filled her days with tutors and archery lessons. But simmering beneath her polite surface is a dangerous gift, one which she must keep a secret. Aia is a Bender. And in Tharien, Benders are feared and hunted.
When her unruly power breaks free with dire repercussions, Aia’s lifelong goal of independence shatters. As she scrambles to piece her life back together while evading capture, she disturbs a vengeful force intent on destroying the kingdom.
Now, with the help of an unlikely ally, Aia will decide the fate of Tharien. To rescue those she cares about will require accepting what she is. But can she risk becoming the monster she’s dreaded to save the very citizens baying for her blood?
   



Find the Author





 

No comments:

Post a Comment