Jul 6, 2012

Early Reader Review: The Occultist Volume 1 by Tim Seeley

The Occultist Volume 1The Occultist Volume 1 by Tim Seeley
Available: July 18th, 2012
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Liked it but not the best so far this year.

Background: Rob is just your normal college student, trying to balance his studies, his part time job at a used bookstore, and his girlfriend, well never mind, no more girlfriend… Suddenly while at work one day he encounters a very old book that decides to bind itself to him. Now Rob is more than just a student, but an Occultist, the new body for the Sword, and ancient power many people are after. The graphic novel follows Rob as he learns to control his new powers and fights to save himself and those around him from the monsters attempting to gain the Sword for themselves.

Review: I enjoyed this graphic novel, I think it was because I have not read one like this recently. I enjoyed the artwork and the storyline, there were a few plot holes but I assume they will be resolved as more volumes are released. I was a little confused about the explanation of the ‘sword’ and what it brings to Rob, not sure if it is a power, a book, or a sword, because it seems to be all of those things at one point or another. The story is fairly dark, violent, and somewhat angsty on Rob’s part but the character development of him was there while some of the other characters were a bit lacking, but they were killed off anyway, so no big deal. This was an interesting read, it kept me reading, the art was great. Pick it up for a quick, dark read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment