Aug 2, 2014

Recent Reads: The Well's End by Seth Fishman

The Well's End
The Well's End by Seth Fishman
Series: The Well's End #1
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date:  February 25, 2014



 

Format: paperback ARC
Source:Librarything Early Reviewers and Putnam for review. Receiving this book in no way effected my opinion of the book or the review below.


Rating:





Goodreads Synopsis: 
A deadly virus and an impossible discovery unite in one enthralling can’t-miss read...

Sixteen-year-old Mia Kish has always been afraid of the dark. After all, she’s baby Mia, the one who fell down a well. That was years ago, though the darkness still haunts her. But when her classmates and teachers at ritzy Westbrook Academy start dying of old age from a bizarre and frightening virus that ages its victims years in a matter of hours, Mia becomes haunted by a lot more than the dark. Their deaths are gruesome and Mia worries she and her friends may be next. In order to survive, Mia and her small crew must break quarantine and outrun armed soldiers in hazmat suits who shoot first and ask questions later.

And there’s only one place to go—the Cave, aka Fenton Electronics. Mia knows it’s somehow connected and hopes her dad, Director of Fenton Electronics, who has always been strangely secretive about his work, has the answers she needs, and more importantly a cure to save everyone before the whole town succumbs to the mysterious virus. Unfortunately, it’s not answers Mia discovers, but something far more treacherous and impossible than even the virus itself.

A high-stakes, fast-paced adventure with imagination and heart.

 Review: 

When I began reading Well’s End I felt that I could not get into it, there was a girl who had fell into a well and apparently that was important enough to bring up a lot in the firs 65 pages but nothing ever seemed to come of it. Granted there was a virus that popped up and soldiers and so on, so there was action but I could not wrap my head around the importance of that well and this girl, so I stopped reading… On a whim the other day I picked it back up. I have been on a roll finishing books during the week and so I figured why not?

I jumped into the book and got what I expected of it, a horrible virus, and soldiers wanting something out of it, teens running for safety being chased by said soldiers. I feel like this is the plot of so many Young Adult books I have read lately, and that is fine. The characters are mostly teens; we follow Mia and two other girls and three guys (If my math is right, they all kind of jumbled for a bit). I have to say that Mia kind of got on my nerves, she seemed WAY too trusting of everyone, even after learning about a bunch of lies, she still trusted people and I feel like that isn’t realistic even if they are close to you. The other character were kind of just there for me, Mia was the focus and getting to the Cave was a big section of the book, not much room for a lot of deep character development that I could see.

The plot was an interesting one, may twists, most were expected and I had a feeling this was going to be a 3 star book, it was good but not spectacular – then I got to the last 3 chapters and was blown away. This dystopian virus ridden book just brought me back to my love for fantasy books like The Neverending Story. There was mystery, whimsy, craziness and what seems to be some magic and this girl, Mia seems to be the source for events about to occur, and that made all the difference. The book moved up from a 3 to a 4 star rating just because of those last chapters.

It almost felt like a whole new book in that instance. I am interested to see where Fishman takes the series, where is Mia going? Is there science behind everything or magic? I would love to find out.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment