Aug 23, 2013

The Mortal Instruments: Should you go see it?

Image Source
Hello Lovelies! 
Are you still wondering whether or not it is worth going to the theater to see The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones? 

Well read this and see how you feel. 
If you have not read the books you CAN read the below review, I believe I have left out the spoilers.

Last night I went to see The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones with my younger sister. I have read 4 of the Mortal Instruments books and she has yet to pick them, so I figured it would be interesting to have her take on the movie and mine, seeing that they would be very different.




So you have read them, what will you think?
Having read the books, I think the main plot points are all there but there was a lot of explanations left out that are needed to understand a lot of the content. For example, I don't think they ever address what a Stele is or a the Seraph Blades and their importance and how they work. Hodge's character is just as strange as in the books but his back story isn't told at all -- he is just said to "not get out much" or something along those lines.

I think they did a great job with casting but felt that in my head Luke was buffer.... just a thought. Overall I found it to be pretty good but was not overly impressed. The sets where wonderful and captivating but they overtook a lot of the content I feel.
Mmmmmm Jace.... Image Source
So you have read them yet but want to see it, how will that go?
Cecilia, who hasn't read the books, thought it was great and loved the story but thought it was confusing with the whole Instruments explanation (or lack there of): Why are they important? What are they? (Were a few of her questions.) She was curious about why people were acting certain ways because of the lack of back story and wanted to know what the "glowy stick" was when they were etching runes into themselves and what the deal was with Shadowhunters and Werewolves versus demons. What are the Accords? 
 
Given all that, we are going to the bookstore today to buy a copy for her to read, I can only hope the movie hasn't completely tainted it for her, that would suck.

So there you have it: As a book lover, I would suggest reading it first if you haven't and if you have read it, it is still up to you. It was a god showing but it was a really long book (hardcover is 485 pages) and to pack all that into 130 minutes would be a challenge for any book/movie adaptation. 

Here is the Trailer if you have been living under a rock and haven't seen it:


Would you like book reviews?

1 comment:

  1. I've read these books and was excited to see this movie until the reviews started trickling in. I guess I should still check it out and make up my own mind, huh? You did make a good point that the book is a lot to cover in one movie. No wonder audiences are confused! Thanks for sharing your experience from a readers side, and someone new to the series.

    ReplyDelete