Jan 23, 2013

Early Reader Review: Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin

Lincoln's Grave RobbersLincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin
Available: Now!
Publisher: Scholastic

Format: Paperback ARC
Source: Scholastic for Review

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Background: This is a historical recount of the attempt of a group of counterfeiters to rob the grave of Abraham Lincoln. The attempt was to use the corpse of Lincoln to require ransom of the government which included a man's freedom from jail and money for the group.

Review: This was a very educational read. The book is said to be for ages 10-14 and I think that some at the age of 10 may get a little confused by it's wordings of the events, but otherwise the history is interesting. I think as a kid I would like to learn about grave robbers and fake money and this book had all of that. It was real events presented in en educational but fun way.

I learned a lot about Lincoln's family, counterfeiting during the period, and about the attempts to steal Lincoln. I even shared a few random facts with my husband. I think the age group the book is meant for will want to do the same and I think if more school lessons were taught in this fun manner more kids would enjoy history class.

My ARC had a bunch of picture placeholders, so I assume the hardcopy includes more images for the readers to reference throughout and there was also a glossary of the terminology used in the book/ time period.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment