Apr 4, 2016

Discussion: How To Read More


Today is a Discussion Day here at Cover2CoverBlog. I am trying to start these a little more since they seem fun :) I hope you enjoy and if you have any topic suggestions let me know in the comments.

Today's Topic
How to read more...

Whenever I mention that I am a reader people seem to what to know how much, because let's face it, there are casual readers (nothing wrong with this at all) and then there are blogger-type readers - that read to the extreme. I read a lot compared to the people I know in 'real-life', compared to some bloggers I don't even compare. But today I wanted to talk about reading more, because you don't have to be a speed-reader to do so... at least I am not but I feel like I am still reading a lot of wonderful books.

1. Bring A Book EVERYWHERE!
This may not come as a surprise, but I really do carry a book with me ALL the time. I have a physical book in my bag I bring to work everyday. I also have the Kindle app on my computer and on my phone - so really I am never without. 

2. Read in EVERY spare moment
On the same note as above - you never know when you will have time to read - thus bring the book everywhere, but what about those moments in between? I read while walking around my office building, on the way to the restroom, and even in between tasks if there is nothing pressing going on.

3. Audiobooks are amazing!
I know that some readers think that listening to an audiobook is cheating, I also know that some do not like them because they read faster than audiobook readers - but, now hear me out - think about the time you are doing other tasks - driving in the car, washing dishes, doing laundry, playing a video game, why not while you are at work?, heck - I have even listened while building a puzzle on a rainy weekend. All those times you could have been reading AND completing your task. Multitasking for the WIN!    
Photo Credit

4. Read before bed.
Now I am in the generation where I have my phone glued to me - most of us do now. And I find myself staring at it as I lay in bed, but did you know that the light of your phone is actually keeping you awake longer? So why not swap it out for a book? You can read for a bout thirty minutes and it relaxes you and then you are ready to pass-out. 

5. Read what you WANT to
This is hard for me as a blogger, because I feel like I have to read the books on my TBR list - truth is, if you aren't getting into it, we should all be setting those books aside and reaching for a different one. I am trying to be better at this and it is helping me finish other books that I am really enjoying versus struggling through ones I am not thrilled about. 

6. Read ALL the Books/ Read only ONE book .... at one time
So this is a personal preference so take your side (and let me know which in the comments). Some people like myself are fine reading about 3-5 books at a time, I pick up and put them down based on my mood and that helps me read more. Other people are great about reading one and finishing it and they feel stressed with too many books at once - that is fine. Pick your poison and go with it.   
 
7. Read shorter books :P 
I am not trying to be funny with this one but it does help - read some short books! Like a graphic novel, some short stories, even some Middle Grade books are on the shorter side. This will help boost your numbers :)


What techniques do you use to read more often? Do you want to read more? 


Happy reading, happy blogging (happy writing) everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment