Jun 10, 2013

Recent Reads: The Sorceress by Michael Scott

The Sorceress
The Sorceress by Michael Scott Publisher: Listening Library (Audio)
Available: Now! 

 

Format: Audiobook
Source: Borrowed from Digital Library

My Rating:



Background: Sophie and Josh are still on their journey to help the Alchemist. The Flamel’s are still growing weaker, Nicholas with the twins and Perenelle stuck on Alcatraz.

Review: It took me a very long time to listen to the audio book for The Sorceress, while there was a good amount of action it felt dragging and I kind of zoned out a lot. I enjoyed a lot of the characters that Mr. Scott brought in as immortals, and I liked the continuation of the story.
Things that were a little upsetting to me: I cannot stand how the twins parents are not being informed of anything and the twins are starting to worry about it too, but Flamel does not seem to care (except about the book and the Dark Elder). The buildup was just a little too slow for me in this installment

I found myself more drawn to Perenelle’s story while she is stuck on Alcatraz versus the twin’s journey. She has wonderful conversations with other characters explaining how things are going and how she can be of any help while stuck on the island; and Alcatraz is a wonderful setting for her and her tale.

Spoiler >>I guess it is also important to note that both the twins are awakened now and so the story line is getting better with less jealousy from Josh about his sister. They are working together a lot more and better than in the previous books, but I am not sure how I feel about how their story is going. Flamel is just a little too stuck on certain things for me to enjoy how he disregards the twin’s pleas to go home and go back to normal.  << End Spoiler[ I guess it is also important to note that both the twins are awakened now and so the story line is getting better with less jealousy from Josh about his sister. They are working together a lot more and better than in the previous books, but I am not sure how I feel about how their story is going. Flamel is just a little too stuck on certain things for me to enjoy how he disregards the twin’s pleas to go home and go back to normal. (hide spoiler)]

I will continue the series as planned but this one was a slow journey.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. This is a very thought out, and well written review. Do you think it would have been better to read vs. audio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I do think that much of the dragging may have been due to the reader, not to say he was bad, but the voice and the content was slow. I think I am going to read the next installment versus listening to it.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that the characters sound compelling and fiction is much stronger when there are new character introductions. I love dialogue and it sounds like the conversations were strong. It is unfortunate to hear that the story dragged a bit. Maybe some more editing would have made it better.

    Online PhD UK Degrees

    ReplyDelete