Jun 18, 2012

Early Reader Review: The Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler


The Shapeshifter's SecretThe Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler
Available: NOW! June 12, 2012
Publisher: Cedar Fort, Imprint: Sweetwater

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Background: Julia is a teenage girl who lives in New York with her single, over-protective father. One day strange things begin to happen to her, she cannot control her anger, and her father becomes more over-protective than ever before. She learns that she is not actually from New York but from another place entirely, and the humans do not know it exists. She is pulled from her home into a new reality where she learns that her mother wants her dead, and she can change into a werecat of the most prestigious kind.

Review: I really enjoyed reading this book. I think that Ostler did a great job writing it. I loved the characters and their stories, and the world she created for them. Now that being said, I also felt like I had already read a very similar much loved story.

Julia, is a YA version of Harry Potter... Before people freak out, let me explain... Prestigious girl finds herself in a new world learning she is a werecat, there is someone out to get her and kill her, and she is stubborn and does stupid things which make it seem like she is helping, only to get her into more trouble. Also, she is going to school in a castle. Ostler's characters are intriguing; Julia is entertaining, and Sierra and Gabe, her best friends, are constantly arguing over small things. These connections were so similar in my head while reading that I could not let them go.

Granted, I really liked the story, I also really LOVED Harry Potter, so I am not sure how much of that love was transferred because of the similarities. Very good, fast read.

Recommended for those who need a YA version of Harry Potter, Like shape-shifting, or need some teen drama in their lives.

Received from Netgalley and Cedar Fort for review.


No comments:

Post a Comment