Jul 19, 2013

Recent Reads: Far Far Away by Tom McNeal

Far Far AwayFar Far Away by Tom McNeal
Publisher: Random House Audio
Available: NOW!! 

 

My rating:




Format: Audiobook
Source: Random House Audio for Review


Background: Jeremy Johnson Johnson has lived in Never Better all his life and he has an interesting ability, he can hear ghosts. Ginger is just a girl from the same town who has taken an interest in Jeremy and they begin to hang out over summer break. Far Far Away is a modern adaptation of Grimm’s Fairy Tales, and who best to tell the story than Jacob Grimm himself? Jacob is Jeremy’s ghost, they have been together for many years Jacob working with Jeremy to help him study to leave the town of Never Better for university some day, and Jeremy listens to Jacob and they are friends. The some strange events occur and Jeremy, Jacob, and Ginger are thrown into one of Grimm’s tales and not all have happily ever after endings.

Review: I listened to this book as an audiobook I received from the publisher and I was so excited to have gotten it in the mail. I have been hearing wonderful things about this book AND the audiobook reader, W. Morgan Sheppard… and it all lived up to the expectations I had for it. The plot is hauntingly twisted and macabre and the characters are interesting and have a depth that is rare in young adult novels. Tom McNeal brings out the best in these teens and the fact that the story is told from the point of view of the ghost adds a sort of mysteriousness to the characters. I really enjoyed that aspect.

The plot was entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat. The first few discs are a bit of a struggle there is a good amount of build up and climax to the plot, but the last four discs flew by as the reader learns about maniacal plots and goings-on from the eyes of the ghost.

I really recommend this as an audiobook, granted I did not read the book, so I cannot say for sure that it is a better option; however the production is great and the reader is perfect for the story. And that can make or break an audiobook.

I recommend this for those interested in the Brother Grimm, Grimm’s Fairy Tales, and also young readers and adults who enjoy a good teenage based suspense story. This book has it, it kept me interested, questioning, and shocked the whole way through…

Tom McNeal is also known for his work with his co-author and wife Laura McNeal. They have written multiple young adult novels and you can visit them at http://mcnealbooks.com/home.aspx


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment