Jan 16, 2020

Recent Reads: Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come by Jessica Pan


Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: One Introvert's Year of Saying YesSorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: One introvert's year of saying yes by Jessica Pan

Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Publication Date:  May 28, 2019



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27405327-pop-manga-coloring-book?from_search=true  https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Manga-Coloring-Book-Beautiful/dp/0399578471?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0399578471&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=x_gr_w_bb&tag=x_gr_w_bb-20

Format: Audible Audiobook
Source: Bought


Rating:







Goodreads Synopsis: 

What would happen if a shy introvert lived like a gregarious extrovert for one year? If she knowingly and willingly put herself in perilous social situations that she’d normally avoid at all costs? Writer Jessica Pan intends to find out. With the help of various extrovert mentors, Jessica sets up a series of personal challenges (talk to strangers, perform stand-up comedy, host a dinner party, travel alone, make friends on the road, and much, much worse) to explore whether living like an extrovert can teach her lessons that might improve the quality of her life. Chronicling the author’s hilarious and painful year of misadventures, this book explores what happens when one introvert fights her natural tendencies, takes the plunge, and tries (and sometimes fails) to be a little bit braver.
Review: 
As a fellow introvert this title was very appealing. Jessica's book is about her year of trying to be more extroverted and being that she is a shintovert or a shy introvert, this made it a little difficult.

I liked that she goes way outside of her comfort zone for a lot of the things she was determined to try, like talking to strangers all the way to improv. She really pushed herself through her year. I really enjoyed hearing about her experiences and how she came to her  decisions but really did not connect with her fully. I found that I am an introvert but that I could do a lot of these things and be perfectly fine so only some of it was relateable. Granted, I will never do stand up comedy or improv and that is ok, I know that I won't like those things, but I can stand in front of a crowd and give a presentation and that is all that I need. 

I think that while I liked her tales of adventure into extroversion there was a lot more in this book that I just couldn't get into. Part of that was her why... I am perfectly fine being an introvert and I know my needs because of it, a lineup of parties, activities, and people time... well I need a week sitting in PJs after work to recoup. I have accepted that and I think my family and friends understand too. 
I think that it is weird that introverts are always so pressured to be extroverts but maybe extroverts need to calm down and have some alone time if we have to go talk to people we don't want to... jus sayin.

I enjoyed the book, I really did. It was a lot of funny moments and the author does a wonderful job telling her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment