Pages

Sep 16, 2026

Recent Reads: Pole Position by Rebecca Caffery

Pole Position by Rebecca Caffery 
Series: Pole Position #1
Publisher: One More Chapter, Harper Collins
Publication Date:  June 6, 2024



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27405327-pop-manga-coloring-book?from_search=true  https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Manga-Coloring-Book-Beautiful/dp/0399578471?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0399578471&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=x_gr_w_bb&tag=x_gr_w_bb-20

Format: Paperback
Source: Bought/Own


Rating:


Goodreads Synopsis: 
Red, White and Royal Blue meets Formula 1!

Kian Walker has always been the golden boy of motor sport. The four-time Championship winner has racing in his DNA – his father was a legend on the track, just don’t let him catch you comparing the two. As reckless and unreliable at home as he was behind the wheel, there’s nothing Kian wants less than to be just like his dad.

Enter Harper James. This year’s rookie called up to compete with the big boys – and Kian’s new teammate. Cocky, hot-headed and with a reputation for breaking as many hearts as he does new track records, Harper’s the opposite of Kian in every way. But when the season starts, there’s no getting away from him.

This might be one of the most dangerous sports in the world, so why then does Kian’s heart feel safer flying around the track at 220mph than when he's anywhere near his teammate?
Review: 
I will start this review off by saying this review is for overall vibes, this was an enjoyable read and I sat down and practically read it in one sitting... but the editing was rough. There were a few plot points that I was very confused about, but I really enjoyed the ride. 

We follow Kian and Harper, F1 drivers and now teammates. Kian is serious, determined, older, and he has been the golden boy of racing for years. Harper is new, messy, the party boy and he is also a pretty good driver, but Kian is not convinced they will make a good team. 

I liked the slow build romance between these two, with their trust issues, and finding ways to come together to become semi-friends before anything more. I liked the will they, won't they, back and forth for a bit, and I liked that both were dealing with seemingly bigger internal/external issues than just being gay in motorsport. 

The F1 parts of this were ok. There were nods to gear, qualifying, locations, and some races. but generally this is a book about racecar drivers that is mostly about their time outside of the cars. The plot overall was really just - they hate each other, or do they? 

I really liked this book. 

Now about the editing and plot points that were odd:
  • Harper was a foster kid, never seemingly adopted, and they put him in karting? I am not sure the author fully understood what that time and cost commitment are. I highly doubt foster parents would be able to do that knowing that he could be adopted and leave at any point. 
  • Was there any resolution to the Kian dad situation or any more explanation to Harper about the fan-boying? Maybe I missed it in there somewhere.
  • Also some general typos, editing oddness throughout as well.
However, if you are reading for the MM romance with some vroom vroom, this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment